International patient safety congress 2021
Never again?! What do never events tell us about patient safety?
Never events should actually never happen. And yet they still do!
Some countries have therefore already instituted mandatory never event reporting systems or the obligation to investigate them either in-house or externally. In other countries, such as in Switzerland, reporting and investigation procedures are still under debate. The Swiss Patient Safety Foundation now intends to hold an international conference on never events in an attempt to force the debate forward in Switzerland.
The conference will cover the significance, compilation and investigation of never events and provide a platform for exchanging information and exciting discussions. Outstanding speakers from Switzerland and abroad will share experiences from other countries along with different approaches to the issue.
Focus on never events
- WHEN 18 & 19 November 2021
- WHERE Careum Auditorium, Pestalozzistrasse 11, 8032 Zurich
- WHO FOR Specialists working in clinical risk and quality management, Patient safety, implementation and care researchers, Executives in clinical practice, Associations of healthcare providers, Quality-development organisations, Health policy and administration officials
- WHO BY Please see the programm.
- HOW The congress will be a hybrid event, comprising a plenary session with interactive elements and discussion rounds on the main day, then a series of follow-up seminars or workshops the day after. The conference languages are German, French, Italian and English with simultaneous interpreting.
- AND GOOD TO KNOW This event will be followed by the national CIRRNET meeting in the afternoon of November 19, 2021. Entitled as «Using CIRS knowledge to prevent Never Events», the meeting will take up the central congress topic in terms of content and implement it in the practical work of the national network.
Despite their relevance, Never Events are still a big taboo. Hence, we investigated how Swiss hospitals deal with
them. The results show: Although Never Events are so important for patient safety, they are usually not centrally
recorded or processed. The findings triggered a decision to give the issue more attention.
With an international conference, the professional, cultural and structural examination of Never Events in Switzerland is to be forced. We want to look beyond the borders of our country. Other countries are ahead of us; a national debate is therefore overdue. The goal is to work with service providers to improve the way they deal with Never Events.
On the first day of the event, six keynote speeches by international experts will provide an overview. In the afternoon, the opinion summit will open the plenary session for discussion with short statements from the field. In the following discussion session, experts will shed light on possible ways of dealing with Never Events in Switzerland. On the second day of the event, the postconference will take place as an in-person event with four workshops, which will intensify the different aspects of the topic in the professional dialogue.
You will be surprised with an exciting program, and we are looking ahead to a groundbreaking debate!
The congress will be followed by the national CIRRNET meeting in the afternoon of November 19, 2021. Entitled as «Using CIRS knowledge to prevent Never Events», the meeting will take up the central congress topic in terms of content and implement it in the practical work of the national network.
The organizing committee was formed by Prof. Dr. David Schwappach, Helmut Paula and Sandra Burkhalter.